Monday, July 06, 2020

Seek

An old friend messaged me on Twitter because he wants someone to talk to about the current political situation in the country. We haven't talked in years since he left the company years ago but we still connect on social media from time to time but still not frequently. It surprised me a little but maybe a little flattered that he thought that I'm the right person to talk to, do I look smart enough? haha. Anyway, basically what I got from him is that from all the rage surrounding the current issues, he wants enlightenment, he wants clarity because all he can see are people mad. It was actually a nice experience to hear that kind of perspective really. He wants to understand both sides and I tried to share my insights as well but also was honest to him that at this point now I'm incredibly frustrated and full of angst with a lot of things that sometimes it's hard for me to give certain individuals the benefit of doubt because the wrong things are just so amplified it's so hard to ignore now. I hope he got something from me, maybe he did. I dunno. But what this little online conversation made me think so much the discourse problem we have right now. People asking but not wanting to hear something when it is not what they want to hear, people judging quickly without understand where all of this is coming from. We are really in a crucial point of history where critical thinking and sound reasoning is being engulfed by agendas and extreme opinions. I hope there will come a time, hopefully soon enough, that the level of discussion on issues will improve. 

No comments: