Thursday, July 16, 2020

Apathy

When I was in college and a campus journalist, one of the biggest issues is student apathy. The students just don't care about school issues outside their bubble. Voting turnout during student elections is nowhere near 50% even! I remember being a giddy, idealistic freshman getting frustrated that my block is also like that. As years went by, I was proven wrong as it took a certain point in time to see them be as passionate over matters of concern. I remember that time so preciously. I was full of hope and positivity. Now in my early 30s, I'm struggling to hold on to that passion and idealism I once had. ESPECIALLY NOW.  Witnessing horrid acts of selfishness and lack of empathy is seriously disheartening. I'm at this point that I really just want to let go and not care anymore. I will just mind my own business, take care of personal concerns, don't think about the whole picture. Nice guys finish last. I guess that's true. It's a cutthroat world and I don't have it. And I'm glad actually, I can't be that vicious.  If being polite, kind and understanding is not the way to move up then I guess I'm fine in my middling state. I don't know what I feel exactly right now. I accept defeats so easily in the past maybe because I'm a pushover? But this one, accepting this defeat is so hard. It hurts deep inside and now I think maybe being apathetic is the right way to go. 

1 comment:

Mikki said...

It's hard to be 100% yourself because you're not part of the majority. Haha pareho tayo halos ng theme sa blog entry today!

And yes, apathy is the way.

Ðarkglass