Saturday, August 29, 2020

Processing

I was talking earlier to a college friend  from my days at the school student publication about my beloved college course Broadcast Journalism getting dissolved for this academic year. We are trying to figure out why the school can't sustain the program anymore. The main reason given by the school administration was the financial effect of the pandemic which is understandable. I've read in the FB group of our program a post from a current student who shared that there are only 8 freshmen enrolled this upcoming school year and the school needed at least 20 to justify continuing the program. The second and third year students will continue but the freshmen were advised to shift course.  Reading the posts of the current students online, I'm impressed with how they are passionate to keep the program alive even writing directly to the admin making their case why the program should stay. I'm so far away from the university now to fully understand what happened but still, I wished the school tried to make it work. Was it really that difficult to keep the lights on?

But truth be told the lack of interest from the younger generation about the course is alarming The course has seen a major decline in the K-12 era. The current third and second year students combined is less than 40. When I was freshman we were near 40 in our block. So what's happening? It is because the lack of viable work opportunities in this field or simply disinterest especially in this era where people can self publish content online? Is there something wrong with media literacy in high school? Has social media killed traditional broadcast journalism?  You know the one that's analytical and not just doling out "content" as quickly and baity as possible to trend? 

I'm sad and bitter.

A part of my life is lost now.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sadly the "content" is the new level of entertainment.