Thursday, September 10, 2020

Headline

I was buying something for my parents at the nearby grocery earlier when I saw a single copy of The Philippine Star broadsheet and out of impulse bought it. After what's happening to journalism this year, I have the urge to help out the best way I can which is actually buying printed editions. The newspaper as expected is so thin and my father was also surprised when he saw it when I brought it home. I skimmed the pages and it is very noticeable that they have lesser ads than usual. Damn. I hope the newspaper can still survive. They still bring in quality writing and thorough reporting which you don't find that much online with the fight for clickbait titles and going viral overshadows actual article, so many people comment based on headline alone and not even bother reading the article!

Anyway, PhilStar's headline today is another one that made me sad! Hundreds of private schools ceasing operations!!! I knew this was bound to happen because the challenges of education in this pandemic is unprecedented and difficult to sustain. But there's something jarring to witness several schools closing down. The possibility of this even happening is something that never crossed my mind until this nightmare disrupted our lives. 

What a year this has been, the foundations of many industries are tested to the core. Such a pivotal moment of how we will live in the future. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I don't read the newspaper anymore but I would be sad if if becomes obsolete =(