Monday, May 18, 2020

What now?


  • ABS-CBN franchise bill discussion on the congress today and once again the old accusations were raised as if it was never addressed in the senate hearing in February. There was this section on the bill that also requires them to give 10% of their airtime for free to the government. What for?I feel nervous for this network if they can get their frequencies back again or what compromise they need to do to get it back. It's been two weeks since their broadcast production was shut down, each day lost is a big damage. I know there are other avenues and channels to choose but there are areas in the country that only their local affiliates can reach to. It was evident in Ambo typhoon where there were areas that they covered and people said that they are the only ones that were  able to reach them. Sometimes this urban/city mentality is  so predominant that rural areas are often forgotten like they don't exist or worse matter to the powers that be. 
  • So the spokeperson said that the government has no plans for mass testing right now and that private companies should do the testing for their employees which was also "recommended" by the labor department. I'm not surprised this happened but still so disappointing. Companies are struggling right now especially the middle to small range companies. How can they afford that?  So frustrating and I'm afraid it would cost more companies to shut down for good.
  • Cavite governor shut down mall operations today due to social distancing and other quarantine violations observed over the weekend. At first I totally get the decision but then when I read the rationale one thing that I noticed is that it tried to connect that the 40 new cases is because of the GCQ over the weekend. That's likely not true because test results takes time and incubation period is 14 days. I get that the  governor is just being proactive to avoid further spread but he should be careful to use and not misrepresent information just to support a narrative. We are living in age where misinformation is so rampant.
  • Our office management went to work today to discuss how operations will work out. No official announcement  relayed to us employees yet, maybe tomorrow or anytime this week. I'm torn because I wanna go back to work but I'm so afraid to commute. I want to help our company rise from this setback. I definitely see them in a new light because despite this crisis they still tried to make it work and provide for the employees. 
  • One thing I don't look forward when I get back 'out there' is to actually hear thoughts I highly disagree with from random people or worst people I otherwise like. After this ordeal I dunno if I can handle problematic opinions anymore.

No comments: