Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Thank You Tito

 Today we lost our beloved uncle Tito Romy. An unforgettable moment because I was there on his last few moments. I heard his last breath. The last time he cried will forever be in my mind. It is bittersweet because the physical pain finally ended but still losing him will leave a big hole in our hearts. I'm looking out for my Tatay because he lost 3 brothers in a span of a year. So far he seems to be handling it as best as he could but I know he is in deep pain. I woke up early this morning because my phone was ringing and it was Tatay but I missed the call. I thought he was just waking me up to eat breakfast but when I went to the dining table, he wasn't there and Nanay said he went to Tito's house because my aunt called. After breakfast, I went there and saw my aunt crying and their neighbors and friends were all there consoling her. Tatay told me Tito is dying so he asked me to go to him and say my goodbyes. And there it was I saw my uncle having difficulty time breathing and his eyes were blank. I knew it immediately the end was near. I said to him that don't worry that we will look out for his family and that if he wants to rest, he can do so. I thanked him a lot for all the things he has done for us all these years. My father left because he had something to do at home and I stayed by my Tito's side while my aunt was calling her sons. My youngest cousin was driving because he just arrived at work when he was informed of my uncle's situation so he had to leave fast. My other cousin was on his way. My aunt was telling my uncle to hold on and wait for his sons to arrive but my uncle was struggling. One of their neighbors initiated a prayer and after the prayer ended, he held his last breath. We shouted his name but he was no longer responding. It hurts because his sons didn't make it on time to say goodbye. Tatay too wasn't there at his last moment but he did say his goodbyes earlier on. But maybe Tito wanted it that way, that his beloved Kuya and sons won't see him die in person. 

What made this day even sadder? Today is also my auntie's birthday. Did he fight to make it on her birthday at least? We will never know but I won't be surprised if in his heart he did try to make it to celebrate his wife's birthday but sadly he didn't make it the entire day.

 To be honest, I still can't fathom why a kind, responsible, and loving man had to suffer like that. Maybe I won't know the reason why it had to happen this way anytime soon. For now, all we can do is pray for his soul. Maraming salamat Tito. Mahal na mahal ka namin.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I dunno what to say... 3 bros in a year.. hugs and comfort Jec!