Sunday, October 17, 2010

Spotlight / Nostalgia Fit: Mara Clara

Everytime I see the plugs for ABS CBN's upcoming remake of the 90s soap opera "Mara Clara" I can't help but feel nostalgic. That soap ran for five years (remember the days when Filipino soap operas last that long?!) and the show started when I was a young kid and during the early years of that show I was not going to school yet so I would watch Mara Clara with Nanay every afternoon. I remember being so angry and scared with Mara's adopted father Gary. The late Eruel Tongco was really an effective antagonist I must say. And of course that epic diary where Tiyo Kardo wrote the secrets! The story is melodramatic, cheesy, dragged out for too long but I have a soft spot for it because it was part of my childhood and the soap is so iconic in Pinoy pop culture. I really had goosebumps when I saw the plugs featuring the old cast introducing the cast of the remake. To be honest, I think it's tad too early to have a remake for Mara Clara but I'm looking forward how the "modern" version will play out.

1 comment:

Dez Garriel said...

I am looking forward to this nga din kuya Jec. And I'm pretty excited with the modern Mara and Clara. :)