Saturday, June 14, 2008

TV Tidbits

  • Today the scholars for the second season of Pinoy Dream Academy were announced and I was so disappointed. It looks like they have chosen people who would be interesting for reality TV than actual singing talent.However, I will still watch because I like the first season so much and I remember being bored during the first few weeks of the show but later on got hooked. PDA season 2 could be interesting plus I like the judges headed by Ryan Cayabyab. But PDA 2 already lost points with the lackluster set of finalists.
  • On the other hand, the second take of the Idol franchise here in our country through Pinoy Idol of GMA 7 is underwhelming. Well that is a sugarcoating of my actual comment really. I'm really disappointed with the production: the set is not appealing (another sugarcoating). As for the finalists, there are quite a few standouts but they lack the "x-factor" or "charisma".
    And well this I would not sugarcoat, Raymond Gutierrez is such a lousy host!
  • I just watched the season 4 finale of Desperate Housewives on Studio 23 last week and I was surprised with *SPOILER ALERT* the twist of flash forward to five years towards the end of the episode was shocking and really left me wanting for more. I believe this was a good setup for an interesting season 5. Because well the show really lost a lot its charms and rebounded a bit this season.
  • The most buzzed new US show is handsdown Gossip Girl and I have to admit this show is such a guilty pleasure though I'm not yet finished with season 1 (I watched the first few eps last year online and now following it through ETC on SBN 21, i have no cable by the way). And Blake Lively as Serena is so hot! At first I was more attracted with Blair since she reminded me of my all time TV love (haha) Rory Gilmore of Gilmore Girls but Serena/Blake really oozes with so much sex appeal haha. But seriously, the show's storyline is so over the top haha and well those actors as high school students? haha. But I really applaud Kristen Bell of Veronica Mars fame aka the voice of Gossip Girl, she really did a good job and she did it so remarkable even though the role is quite small.
  • But my favorite new US shows last year are Pushing Daisies, Chuck, Eli Stone and Dirty Sexy Money. Pushing Daisies is now aired on 2nd Avenue (on RJTV 29 for people like me who have no cable or Sky Cable subscribers). Eli Stone will also be shown on 2nd Avenue I believe. Chuck is both seen on C/S RPN 9 and AXN while Dirty Sexy Money will be aired by Studio 23 this July. I love Pushing Daisies, the show is describe as a Forensic Fairytale. The way the story is told is so quirky yet charming plus the cinematography and the production design is so breath taking. Chuck is a spy show ala Alias but lighter. The lead guy named Chuck (of course) is a nerdish guy who became an accidental spy. I love his chemistry with his love interest Sarah, a real spy/agent played by the gorgeous Yvonne Strahvoski. Eli Stone meanwhile is well written and directed show. Its dramedy with some musical numbers for some episodes. The story revolves around lawyer Eli Stone who was diagnosed by brain aneurysm but somehow in some mystic way he begun receiving "premonitions" or "signs" that lead him to change his view as a lawyer. Dirty Sexy Money, on the other hand, is a look on the lives of the Darling family, an elite family with so many skeletons in the closet.
  • I need to catch up on LOST, this show is so engaging and the flash forwards added spice to the show. I'm so glad that the program's producers already announce that this show will end in two years time. Meaning to say fans will no longer be worried of a cancellation or an unnecessary extension that will drag the story out. Setting the end game for the show will make way for a well structured story.
  • David Cook, American Idol winner is so popular. And I will go out on a limb and proclaimed he could be the most popular AI winner and alumnus in the Philippines. His rendition of Always Be My Baby is being over played to death from the masa to the upscale pop stations. His coronation song "The Time of My Life" is also popular. But could he sustain the popularity and will his just be a 'star of the moment' and a goner tomorrow?
  • Because of the popularity David Cook I heard many saying that season 7 is the best season of AI. I beg to differ. Season 5 is still the best for me, the final 12 overall was good and it was really exciting as the competition was stiff. There is a variety of talents. Eight out of the twelve finalists had post-AI recording career the most successful of them all is the 4th place Chris Daughtry. Too bad Taylor Hicks did poor but well he really is not a "pop star" his music is niche but he is really good. But my personal favorites of that season were 3rd placer Elliott Yamin and runner up Katharine Mcphee. Elliott had a good career as an indie recording artist while Katharine flopped =( Katharine will be part of a movie though. She is so gorgeous and I have to say she is the prettiest AI alumnus ever.

No comments: