Sunday, April 19, 2020

Temporary Normal

Supposedly, the lockdown will end April 30. But signs are pointing to another extension. Logically, I understand as the new reported cases are still 200 plus everyday. I do believe we can really get back to what we use to call normal  but just not yet.  However, I constantly think about the economy I'm just so scared of the aftermath. Personally, our company was still able to give us salaries but for how long can they sustain us? I worry about that nearly everyday.

I worry for other people too. The small businesses like barber shops, can they survive this? The small vendors not selling essential goods. How can they survive this? The social amelioration won't be enough and it's already causing a lot of people to get angry already. The early promise of the labor department to help companies by giving a 5K aid to employees still not felt because as expected they got overwhelmed and can't help everyone. This is what I feel so troubled about, I don't want our fates to be reliant on the government. That's why I really want people to be able to go back to work. But the risk is just there and can't be denied. It's a lose-lose situation.

Earlier, I went to buy maintenance medicines for my mother and for the first time since I've been doing this for her, two of her medicines are out of stock. This has never happened before. Demand is high so getting the supplies is harder than ever. Going to the grocery is a nightmare now. I try to check out the smaller convenience stores but they barely have anything on stock these days.  Some of the items are also more expensive than ever now.

My nephew was supposed to graduate elementary last March 31 but everything's on hold now. He seems like he doesn't care when I asked him if he misses school though. He's constantly entertained with Minecraft and YouTube. He also even likes the reruns of May Bukas Pa and Wansapanataym these days too. Good for him though, it's better for a kid to still enjoy life. Let the adults do the worrying.

I was able to pay our electricity bill online, a first! I had to convince my parents that this is legit even without a paper receipt, I had to show them the 0.00 balance on my laptop screen to ease their worries. For water, well that will really have to wait because it's a local company and no way to pay online. They did assure no penalties and continous supply so that's fine.

I recently saw this video about an uncrowded Metro Manila in this quarantine era. seeing the parts around Makati made me emotional. My father worked here for 30 years so I'm already familiar with the area  before I even started working. Nearly 12 years of employment, my current and past jobs, were all located in Makati. This is the longest time since I started working that I haven't been in Makati. I miss walking the streets, the overpass and underpass, the random people asking me for directions etc. I miss even the traffic who would have thought? I just miss the normality of everyday life. I can't wait to go back and resume our lives. I really hope it's coming very soon .

Earlier I felt so anxious again and to fight it off. I took an afternoon nap. It didn't magically delete my worries away but at least for a few hours I had peace of mind.

No comments: