Monday, December 31, 2018

My 10 Favorite Podcasts of 2018

My new passion this year is listening to podcasts! It started when I discovered there are available podcasts on Spotify and then I fell deep into the rabbit hole and discovered a lot of podcasts about a lot of things. My particular topic that I'm very into is narrative journalism! Podcasts are perfect to listen while I do paperwork at work and commuting (it actually takes my mind off traffic!). Anyway, here are the podcast that got my ears busy this year!

1. This American Life
- My absolute favorite because it is narrative journalism at its finest. This is a radio that started over 20 years ago and tells various stories under one theme each week. My favorite are the slice of life stories the best

2. Heavyweight
- This podcast features stories of individuals trying to resolved something in their past that was left unresolved. Each episodes are funny and emotional and I absolutey the host's dry humor as well.

3. Kind World 
- Short stories of people extending their hand to other people in various ways. This podcast somehow help restore my faith in humanity in this era of outlandish aggressive toxic behavior

4. Household Name
- Each a popular company brand is featured and unknown story about them is told. The often tell fascinating and engaging stories

5. Reply All
- A podcast about the Internet but not strictly about it as well. I love the episodes when they feature Internet subcultures I don't know existed and also stories about how some online event has led to bigger impact in real life

6. Serial
-of course the most popular podcast of them all. The first season is the most popular one and that's not a suprise because the way they narrated the crime was really engrossing. The latest season released this year was also fantastic as well as it deals with the criminal system

7. Start Up
- The podcast about starting a business, the first season was about the podcast company itsefl Gimlet and it was such an engaging journey. The later seasons were more flexible and not just strictly about start ups and business just like this year they released seasons about starting a Church and a charter school.

8. Endless Thread
- A podcast about stories that were found on Reddit! It's kind like Reply All in a way because it stories that stems from the Internet. The topics are as wide as the scope of Reddit is and the stories are always so fascinating especially when they get to interview the people behind the usernames

9. Imagine Life
- This is a narrative podcast where the listener is told the story of a famous person in second person point of view and they only reveal who the person at the end of each episode This is an immersive listening experience and it's actually quite fun when you figure out who the person is before the reveal due to the context clues they drop in.

10. Dr. Death 
- This is a podcast that really made me so mad as it is about a surgeon who is so inept that ultimately led to serious damage to a lot of patiens and worse death to some. What's more infuriating about this is how the system of being afraid to fire a doctor enable him to do this big damage.

No comments: