Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The 84th Academy Awards Nominations Roundup

The Oscar nominees are out and let me share my thoughts (plus how I fared with my predictions).

Every year people online will always complain about the nominees and proclaim it as the worst set ever or would complain and question the Academy's taste. I do understand that feeling but we can never have that perfect line up anyway. There's bound to be someone to get lost in the shuffle. And please you don't let that award shows dictate what movies to like. It's all subjective anyway. And while the Oscars should not be the barometer of quality at all, I will not discount the award giving body's significance. I for one got interested with movies thanks to the Oscar Awards. Sure I started out checking movies that were nominated but as the year progresses my horizon expanded and check out the ones that got snubbed or those I read deserves to be recognized but there was no awards buzz at all or even those who don't really seek awards but is good anyway. In a way following the awards race is a starting point to discover and appreciate movies both past and present. Yes, the politics involved to get a nomination and much less win is annoying but at least you become more critical, right? The nomination process could still be improved I know but at the end of the day the list of nominees is basically just the consensus of the personal preferences of 6,000+ members of the Academy. Sometimes I really find it annoying that some critics (and fans online) feel like the Academy is entitled to nominate the movies they love. I'm not saying we should not criticize the Oscar choices, feel free to do so there's nothing wrong about it, but please don't take things so personally or too seriously.

The Nominees:

Best Picture

"The Artist"
"The Descendants"
"Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close"
"The Help"
"Hugo"
"Midnight in Paris"
"Moneyball"
"The Tree of Life"
"War Horse"

5/9. I only predicted 6 and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy did not make it. Anyway, I'm glad we have 9 nominees this year since I like having more movies in the game. The Help is the only movie which crossed 100 million is US Box Office (but was only shown on a few areas overseas) and that could likely affect the award show's rating because few mainstream hits were in the mix. If Harry Potter and The Deathly Hollows, Part 2 was released in November, close proximity on the voting period, it may had a shot for a nomination at least. I also wished Bridesmaids made the cut but oh well a rauncy comedy might too be much for the voters.

Critics rejoiced that Tree of Life made the cut but winced when Extremely Loud and Incredibly made a comeback after what it's thought to be a dead battle for the Oscar. I admit I have an irrational support for Extremely Loud even if I haven't seen this move yet just because I love the book it was based on plus it stars two of my favorite stars: Tom Hanks and Sandra Bullock. I'm glad the picture got a nomination where it matters. I hope this nomination will help the movie's box office fortunes which opened wide this weekend in the US but had a mediocre result. Most of these movies are not yet released internationally but a few of them will begin their rollout soon. Here in the Philippines here are the playdates of some of the movies (of course dates are subject to change)

Hugo and The Descendants - Feb. 15
War Horse and Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close - Feb. 29
Moneyball - March 7

Tree of Life was released here last year while I doubt Midnight in Paris will make it to local theaters since it was already released in the US several months back and is now available on home video. The Help was supposed to be shown here this month but for whatever reason did not pursue and no new playdate has been scheduled yet. Meanwhile, The Artist might be shown as an Ayala Cinemas exclusive just like The King's Speech last year. Let's admit it, a black and white silent film is a tough sell but if it wins the Best Picture, the potential to reach more audience will expand. Anyway, looking forward to see these films on the big screen :) Of course I know they are (or will soon be) available "elsewhere" but watching movies in theaters is still the best experience so I'll try my best to watch those that would be shown here on the big screen but as for those that won't be available here, well....

Best Director
Michel Hazanavicius, "The Artist"
Alexander Payne, "The Descendants"
Martin Scorsese, "Hugo"
Woody Allen, "Midnight in Paris"
Terrence Malick, "The Tree of Life"

5/5 Perfect prediction for me! ;D

Best Actor
Demián Bichir, "A Better Life"
George Clooney, "The Descendants"
Jean Dujardin, "The Artist"
Gary Oldman, "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy"
Brad Pitt, "Moneyball"

4/5 I missed out on Bichir for DiCaprio. Honestly though on my first draft I had Bilchir in but the last minute I changed it to DiCaprio because I thought performances from Clint Eastwood films somehow makes the cut despite poor to mediocre reception of the movies themselves. But then again if virtually unknown Mexican actor Bichir pulled a surprise on the SAG awards earlier then the support is strong enough to overcome the "star power" so to speak. I should have known better. Anyway, while Harry Potter got the shaft at least "Sirius Black" got nominated. Sort of. Kidding aside, Oldman is due for a nomination with the career he had already and it's a well-received performance anyway.

Best Actress
Viola Davis, "The Help"
Glenn Close, "Albert Nobbs"
Rooney Mara, "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"
Meryl Streep, "The Iron Lady"
Michelle Williams, "My Week With Marilyn"

4/5. Just when you thought Close and Mara will fight it out for the last slot, they will both make it anyway but at the expense of Tilda Swinton. I guess the movie (We Need to Talk About Kevin) is just too dark for the voters.

Best Supporting Actor
Kenneth Branagh, "My Week With Marilyn"
Jonah Hill, "Moneyball"
Nick Nolte, "Warrior"
Christopher Plummer, "Beginners"
Max Von Sydow, "Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close"

3/5 Albert Brooks was snubbed and this made me really sad. I underestimated Jonah Hill's chances and very glad Von Sydow pulled a surprise nomination here. And oh very happy Nolte was not forgotten at all!

Best Supporting Actress
Bérénice Bejo, "The Artist"
Jessica Chastain, "The Help"
Melissa McCarthy, "Bridesmaids"
Janet McTeer, "Albert Nobbs"
Octavia Spencer, "The Help"

4/5 Veteran McTeer knocks out Shailene Woodley to what could have been a big upgrade for the young star: From being the star of a melodrama to becoming an Oscar nominated actress but alas the voters thought it was not yet the time. And yay Academy Award nominee and Gilmore Girls alumnus Melissa McCarthy. It was a terrific performance, so what if the character defecated on a sink? It's silly to rule out the overall performance because of a gross scene like that. So suck it haters! ;)

Best Animated Feature Film
"A Cat in Paris"
"Chico and Rita"
"Kung Fu Panda 2"
"Puss in Boots"
"Rango"

2/5 Only got Rango and Chico and Rita right. I know two foreign arthouse animated movies will make it but I thought Wrinkles' would make it instead of A Cat in Paris. I underestimated the Dreamworks movies which I both liked by the way but didn't think they were strong enough to get a nomination. On hindsight, Kung Fu Panda 2 was actually good and matched the first one's magic and definitely deserved the nomination so it was foolish of me to leave it out because it didn't 'feel' strong enough. And lastly tThe Adventures of Tin Tin snub is a sign that the animation branch does not consider motion capture as true blue animation.

Best Adapted Screenplay
"The Descendants"
"Hugo"
"The Ides of March"
"Moneyball"
"Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy"

3/5 I picked The Help and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo instead of The Ides of March and Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. It was surprise snub for The Help since I thought it's a lock here. Actually, that movie just got 4 nods (3 acting, 1 picture) which tells that this movie has no shot to win the top prize.

Best Original Screenplay
"The Artist"
"Bridesmaids"
"Margin Call"
"Midnight in Paris"
"A Separation"

5/5 Perfect prediction! and I'm very proud of this because "Margin Call" was a last minute prediction for me because I forgot it was eligible here. Anyway, the movie's topic is about the financial crisis in America which definitely appeals to the voters.

Best Film Editing
"The Artist"
"The Descendants"
"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"
"Hugo"
"Moneyball"

3/5 I picked Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and Midnight in Paris over The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and Moneyball. Anyway, history has it that the best picture winner usually is at least nominated here in this category so I predicted Midnight in Paris because I thought it had the chance to pull an upset win against The Artist but with the lack of love here, not gonna happen.

Best Art Direction
"The Artist"
"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2"
"Hugo"
"Midnight in Paris"
"War Horse"

4/5 missed out on War Horse over Tinker, Tailor, Soldier Spy

Best Cinematography
"The Artist"
"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"
"Hugo"
"The Tree of Life"
"War Horse"

4/5 missed out on The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo yet again because of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. I really overestimated that movie's chances with the technical categories

Best Costume Design
"Anonymous"
"The Artist"
"Hugo"
"Jane Eyre"
"W.E."

3/5 missed out Anonymous and W.E in favor of The Help and Immortals. Anonymous was part of my initial prediction but I went adventorous and chose my personal preference for Immortals. Wrong call

Best Makeup
"Albert Nobbs"
"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2"
"The Iron Lady"

2/3 I chose The Artist over Harry Potter. Glad Harry Potter made the cut though because the work on Voldemort alone is award worthy.

Best Music (Original Score)
"The Adventures of Tintin"
"The Artist"
"Hugo"
"Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy"
"War Horse"

4/5 While The Adventures of Tin Tin was snubbed in the Animated Film category it pulled a surprise here (my pick was The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

Best Music (Original Song)
"Man or Muppet" from "The Muppets"
"Real in Rio" from "Rio"

ZERO. Lamest category this year with just two nominees. And I'm upset the Academy robbed us of the chance of seeing a grand production of The Muppets, Jason Segel and Amy Adams perform Life's a Happy Song on stage. Anyway at least one Muppet song was nominated and it's the quite funny but sad yet brilliant song from Flight of the Conchords' Bret McKenzie. Real in Rio is good too although admittedly at first I didn't remember what this song was but when I read about it, I remembered how beautiful this song is and used quite well in the movie. It will be a close race between these two to say the least because both are equally good. But please improve your nomination system here next year! Give us at least 3 or 4 nominees for crying out loud!

Best Sound Editing
"Drive"
"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"
"Hugo"
"Transformers: Dark of the Moon"
"War Horse"

3/5 missed Drive and Transformers in favor of Super 8 (shocking snub) and Harry Potter.

Best Sound Mixing
"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"
"Hugo"
"Moneyball"
"Transformers: Dark of the Moon"
"War Horse"

2/5 Only got Hugo and War Horse right. The Super 8 snub is really disappointing

Best Visual Effects
"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2"
"Hugo"
"Real Steel"
"Rise of the Planet of the Apes"
"Transformers: Dark of the Moon"

3/5 Skinny Chris Evans was not impressive enough for the voters and snubbed Capatin America while Tree of Life, a film heavy on visuals, surprisingly got shut out. Robot movies Transformers and Real Steal made the cut instead.

Best Foreign Language Film

"Bullhead" - Belgium
"Monsieur Lazhar" - Canada
"A Separation" - Iran
"Footnote" - Israel
"In Darkness" - Poland

3/5 missed out on Canada and Belgium in favor of Germany and Taiwan. Germany's Pina is nominated on the documentary category (which I didn't place predictions at all).

No comments: