Thursday, January 19, 2012

Spotlight: Smash


I'm really glad NBC's new musical series Smash will be aired here in the Philippines just a few days from its original airing in the US via 2nd Avenue (starting Feb.9, 2012 Thursdays at 9pm)! This is one of my most anticipated new shows this season! I will not deny that my main interest with this show is Katharine McPhee! I was in love with her during her American Idol days haha. Yes she's hot but she's also talented and I really thought she would win that season but alas she placed second. Sadly, her post-American Idol recording career was not a successful but I think this is her shot to stardom! I really hope this show becomes a hit for NBC so I can have my weekly dose of Katharine McPhee

By the way, I had the chance to check out the pilot (which is now availabe on iTunes as a promotional platform) and here are a few thoughts:
  • Admittedly the first few parts bored me, maybe because I'm not really familiar with the world of broadway but as it progresses it picked up and the last part blew me away. And
  • Casting was good on Smash. Katharine McPhee & Megan Hilty are perfect for the roles . The pilot did a nice job of introducing Ivy and Karen. If they will do the competition aspect of the show well I think it will break our hearts too whoever gets the shaft. In the pilot you can both root for them.
  • Nice to see Debra Messing again on TV! I love Wll & Grace. She's at ease with the role I must say.
  • To be honest though the show's appeal is niche and will likely struggle in the ratings in the US but I think Katharine's character will be like the "outsider's view" of the broadway world and will likely help us be familiar with the premise. I think her character's story will be the key to get the show appeal to a broader audience. Look I personally not interested with a show about the backstage drama of the making a broadway show but she got me interested in the pilot!
  • The preview they had in the end for the upcoming episodes made me anticipate to watch this show even more.

Crossing my fingers this show will be a hit and that the pilot's creative potential will develop even more as the season progresses.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am also looking forward to this show. You are right. This is make or break for Katharine McPhee. I do hope it turns out to be good. Maybe not as successful as Glee but with enough viewership to further develop its storyline to be able to show more exciting episodes everyday.