Friday, October 30, 2009

Fireflies is #1




Owl City's 'Fireflies" zoomed from #7 to #1 this week on Billboard's Hot 100! I'm so thrilled that this song hit #1, when I first heard this song I knew it has a chance to be a big mainstream hit but I never thought that it would be a #1 single in the U.S
It is just refreshing to see a different #1. I just got used to the typical songs that tops Billboard Hot 100 , you know the R&B/Rhythmic songs but Owl City defied the odds. The #1 victory was made possible due to the song selling 190+ thousand downloads this week . Very impressive. This is the most surprising #1 for me since Hey There Delilah by Plain White Ts in 2007. By "suprising", I mean a type of song that is a long shot top the Hot 100 mainly because of its genre and coming from a relatively unknown artist.
By the way, Owl City is not band but just one guy, kinda like Nine Inch Nails and Secondhand Serenade. It was love at first hear for this song, I just like the vibe this song exudes. And the Philippines, well at least Mega Manila which I'm exposed to, is also loving this song as it has been topping several radio music charts.

No comments: