Sunday, June 22, 2008

Frank

I woke up today with no electricity. It was raining cats and dogs. Yesterday, reports say that here in Cavite we are experiencing Signal #2 and to be honest I did not feel that yesterday's rain was that hard to be categorized in that level. But around 12 midnight when I was about to sleep, it rained hard and well I was proven wrong, the wrath of Typhoon Frank started and should not be belittled.
So there, with no electricity means no Internet or TV for me. Good thing though we have a transistor radio and monitored the news and I was shocked with the news, a ferry sank in Romblon. Reports says that MV Princess of the Stars of Sulpicio Lines (they were also the owners of Dona Paz, the worst sea tragedy of all time) experienced engine trouble few hours away from its destination and unfortunately it coincided with the rough seas caused by Frank and there the tragedy happened. There were 626 passengers and 121 crew on board the ferry and as of press time, there were three people rescued and two found dead while the rest are still missing.
On other news, there are about 900 families displaced by flood in Metro Manila while Eastern Visayas incurred an estimated 900 million worth of damages because of the typhoon.
After reading those news, I really felt ashame of myself as I was whining earlier because of the brownout while there are people suffering more from this calamity. Lights went back on around 3 PM, my "little pain" was eased but I felt sad knowing that there are lots of people there experiencing larger-than-life dilemmas who are not sure when and how they could see the solution to their Typhoon Frank-induced problems.
I thank God me and my family are safe.
Let us pray for the safety of the people affected by Typhoon Frank and for the souls of the people who passed away.

1 comment:

Niko Batallones said...

I mentioned this partly on a blog entry, and someone commented, calling that mention "nonchalant." Hrm.

I just had to say that. Haha :D